Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
View detailed instructions for each phase of the Latin American Country assignment in Blackboard, in the Assignment/Tareas folder.
- SPANISH 101: See "Assignments/Tareas" in Blackboard, and open "Lección 1" for an overview of the project, your country assignment, and information about finding a game or sport that defines or expresses your country's culture; see Lección 4 for details about the mid-semester outline and citations and to submit the mid-semester assignments.
- SPANISH 102: See Lección 5 for an overview of the project, your country assignment, and information about finding a game or sport that defines or expresses your country's culture; see Lección 7 for details about the mid-semester outline and citation forms and to submit the mid-semester assignments.
Your Country: Facts & Background
CIA World Factbook
Choose your country from the drop-down menu to find details on history, peoples, government & politics, economy & industry, and geography. Maps, flags and images, too. Free online access.
Gale Virtual Reference Library This link opens in a new window
- What it is: A collection of eBooks broken up into collections.
- Who It Is Great For: Anthropology, Art (Art Studies, Visual Arts), Business and Administration (Accounting, Business Administration, Business Information Systems, Business Studies, Health Care Management, Management), Cannabis Studies, General Studies, Geography Studies, History Studies, Liberal Arts, Sciences (Biology Studies, Chemistry Studies, Physics Studies), Sociology Studies, Spanish Studies, Technology Studies (Biomolecular Science, Environmental Science)
Your Country: Official Websites
- Using Google or your favorite Internet search engine, search for [ Name of Country ] Ministry of Tourism. Look at the results list carefully to be sure you use the official ministry website. Get official marketing information about unique places, cultural events, attractions, and unique traditions. You will often find lots of colorful images here as well. Gather the information needed to cite this source.
- Using Google or your favorite search engine, search for [ Name of Country ] embassy United States. Look at the results carefully. Choose your country's embassy in the United States. Here you will find official information about your country, published by that country's government, and in the English-language. Gather the information needed to cite this source.
Britannica Image Quest This link opens in a new window
- What it is: Millions of rights-cleared images from a wide range of sources with citations provided. Search for specific image or browse by collections, popular results, and through subject albums. Stock photos and clip art available.
- Who It Is Great For: All Students
Below are image-sharing websites. Be sure to use Google's reverse image search to check accuracy! Drill down and find out about the photographer, too. Should you trust that the image is really what s/he claims it is? Gather the information needed to cite these sources.
300 million images and growing. Improved seaching. More information for citations.
Flickr / Creative Commons
4 million + photos. Find source attribution information by scrolling below the selected image.
40 million media files. Scroll below selected image to find source attribution information.
1 million photos and art illustrations. Follow photographers' links to find source attribution information.
Don't cite Google! Choose the [VISIT PAGE] option to find source attribution information for each image.
Choose ONE Unique Tradition from Your Country
See also the games-of-the-world books on "reserve" for this class in the library. Use the contact options (see the box on the bottom-right on this page) to ask library staff for access.
See also the sports-of-the-world books on "reserve" for this class in the library. Use the contact options (see the box on the bottom-right on this page) to ask library staff for access.
You may find information on folk art and craft traditions in your country research, especially the Ministry of Tourism or the encyclopedias. See also the world folk art books on "reserve" for this class in the library. Use the contact options (see the box on the bottom-right on this page) to ask library staff for access.
OTHER TRADITIONS? You are welcome to choose another type of tradition that represents the culture of your assigned country.
Contact Librarians Virtually